Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

I was not so great with posting during the 2nd quarter of the school year. However, I have stumbled across some free time and figured it would be a decent time to post. Also, I happen to be in a pretty good mood since the USC Trojans beat the Michigan Wolverines to win the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl was not for a national title or anything, but it sure is nice to win the last game of the season.
This post is coming from the family room of the new Barbee house in Richlands, NC. It is not totally finished yet, but it is the closest to being done that I have seen. This place will be so nice when it is finished. The new house is about 2,600 sq. ft. and is a major upgrade from the old house. When Sarah and I come home I have my own little loft area. Hopefully when we get married perhaps her parents will let me stay in Sarah's room.
The holiday season has been pretty cool thus far. I spent about a week out in Stockton for Christmas and Sarah went out with me. It was her first Christmas away from her family and I know that was a little rough on her. Everything worked out alright though especially since my family and friends I honestly believe like her more than they like me. We hung out with the normal crew of folks that I like to see when I go home. A professor of mine from UOP is the deacon at my church and when I went to Christmas mass I got to talk with him. He has recently retired and as do many folks who have recently retired he wore a huge grin when he spoke of his retirement. I am so jealous. Only about 35 more years, yes!
After the week in Stockton we flew back to Atlanta and then drove to Sarah's hometown. Along with the holidays this December was special because we celebrated her Grandma Barbee's 90th birthday. She had a huge bash at the fellowship hall at her church. There must have been about 150 people there when all was said and done. The coolest part about it is that I would not be surprised if there is a 100th birthday bash for her. She is still going strong. She keeps her house (the same one that she raised her four boys in), is active in church functions, and moves around real well. I hope Sarah got those genes.
Tomorrow we are heading up to Durham to do some wedding stuff. In particular, cake tasting! It should be pretty awesome. Sarah and I both have to be back at work on Friday. The fact that I had a decent break does make it easier to go back. Plus, I am teaching the same classes I taught last semester. It will be nice to be in a position of refining lesson plans each day for the second semester instead of creating new ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home