Tuesday, October 17, 2006

October Break

Vacations are the best! I didn't really go anywhere (except for Tuscaloosa for the second weekend in a row), but do you really need to go anywhere to be on vacation? Whatever, I don't want to get into the semantics. The important thing is that I have not been at Pleasant Grove High School since Thursday afternoon. In the end, that is what really matters. It almost feels criminal to be outdoors when I am normally teaching. I learned that autumn in Alabama can be real nice during school hours. It all balances out when I figure that when the heat is bearing down in August I get to be in an air conditioned classroom.
Saturday I ran in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. The race was 5k and that works out to about 3.1 miles. It is amazing the difference 8 years can make. When I ran cross country in high school the course was three miles. I am not trying to convince you that I was an excellent runner. The reality was far from that, but I would do alright. I had a good time and we will leave it at that. What matters is that breast cancer research received a great check because there were a ton of folks there.
On Sunday, I went to Tuscaloosa for Crider's wedding. She is a teaching friend of mine from PG. The ceremony and everything was done real well. She cut it real close to finish the ceremony by sundown, but she made it. In a close second for highlight of the day was the performance of my fantasy football team. After a few bad weeks my team was in last place. Week 6 was a huge score and that was with little to no contribution from two of my receivers and the kicker...stupid kickers!
I also finally registered my car here in Alabama. This had to take place not because the cops pulled me over (although I suppose I was flirting with danger on that one since I could have been pulled over at any time for it) but because my apartment complex was going to tow my car because of it. Can you believe it? These are the issues the management pursues. Nevermind people park in two spots or that there are way too many people living in some units. They decided in all their infinite wisdom that the infraction to push was the expired car tag of a guy who never misses a payment.
Forgive me, that is the frustration of having to go back to school talking. On the bright side, three day week, woohoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home