Sunday, January 21, 2007

Back at it

The new semester is two weeks old and I am starting to get settled in. This semester I enjoy a wonderful luxury: for the first time at Pleasant Grove High School I am teaching the same classes I taught in the first semester. In the past three semesters I have been creating new activities for each new class and it has been quite the time killer. Now, it is a matter of just modifying what I already have. I can look back at the plans from last semester and say to myself either that went great so I will do it again or I need to work on that a little more before doing that lesson again. It is not like I don't work, but it is not as stressful.
I had morning duty the first week back and that was not fun! Despite the benefit of teaching the same classes it was difficult to get back in the swing of things when I did not have my time in the morning to get ready. The morning duty meant I had to stay later after school because I lost that time in the morning. Luckily, it was only a week.
My new classes have been pretty good so far. There are a few kids who are starting to talk in class a little more than I would like. However, that is something a new seating chart can fix. If they still talk then it is time to start calling home. I am glad the kids are so well behaved at the beginning of the semester because in all honesty, the stuff we cover in world history at the very beginning is not exactly the most interesting stuff in the world.
A number of wedding issues are being resolved. I wish I could take credit for it, but it is really all Sarah. For further details on wedding plans, just take a look at Sarah's blog. There is a link for it off to the side.
This weekend has been pretty eventful. Sarah is on a basketball road trip so I have been on my own. I have found ways to keep myself out of trouble. After school on Friday I went to the girls basketball game for 3rd place in the county championship. We won by about 5 points, we were up by about 4-8 points the whole game. Sure would have been nice if we could have pulled away, but what are you going to do?
Saturday I had to use my alarm because my car had to go to the shop. I had to wait for about 4 hours, but it was an excellent opportunity to get some grading done. When I finished I strolled through the Honda dealership and looked at cars I do not need and can't afford. Everything works out though since while my car is not much to look at, it still runs pretty well with the occasional repair that has to get done just because parts go out every few years. A couple of folks and I met up for dinner on Saturday for Ford's 29th birthday. Then we went to the boys basketball game for the county championship. At one point Pleasant Grove was down 17 points in the 3rd quarter and came back to win it in overtime.
Today I have some more school work to do, but I am putting that off as much as possible. Maybe I will do some work around here instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home